Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thith ith a thtory that'll till ya!

As you may have grasped from my last post, I have gladly said goodbye to the clumsy confines of infancy and welcome with open arms the delightful "middle age" of our children. Just young enough not to have attitude, old enough to hold up their end of a fantastic conversation. Young enough to still bend to our will, old enough to use the bathroom on their own. Young enough to still sneak in a good snuggle, old enough to see movies we actually like.

However, I have found myself, as of late, feeling some sadness and nostalgia as the last bits of their early childhood slip away. There are things I am truly sorry to see go. Rocking my kids to sleep. Splashing at bath time. Sippy cups and little Ziploc bags of cheerios.

One of the favorite things I will miss is the simple idiosyncrasy of our children's speech. Our son has outgrown his sweet lisp, which shined magnificently as he rocked out to his favorite song, "Hey now, you're a rock thtar” by that band, Thmathmouth.

In the case of our daughter, all of her "K" sounds would come out as the letter "t". "Goin' to the park to fly a tite" "Gonna have some birthday take" etc. etc.

What would bring us and anyone within earshot to tears is when she would get on a rant about her absolute favorite subject.

Kitties.

"We have two titties in our house."

"Do you have any titties?

"My mommy had an orange titty, but it died."

"My titties names are Ella and Dizzy."

"Ooh, I like your titties."

"Can I pet your titty?"

Quite frankly, I'm not that comfortable typing any more examples, but let me tell you there's no better way to get to know a stranger than to have your youngster engage them in a conversation about the friendliness of their titties.

And I will miss it.

23 comments:

foolery said...

Well, at our houthsz we have THREE tittiethsz! They're tho thoft and tuddly. All three.

This made me lose it at wort. Thantthsz for the laugh -- you tratt me up! (And thantthsz for the nithsz tomment, too, wint wint.)

Nora said...

Yes, I would imagine that would cut out the need for small talk with strangers. I have two titties at home, incidentally, except one of them is named Kevin....:-)

A lovely story.

Anonymous said...

now see thats what i missed! i just added water and poof he is 11! but i still help him fall asleep and he is just now starting to get my sarcasm. i do think though i shouldn't read your blog at work anymore because i am now crying!

Anonymous said...

I've said it many times before but it's time for a refresher: You really, truly rock my face off.

Sarah said...

Tee hee!

Bottles Barbies And Boys said...

LMAO...Oh that's cute. Mine littel one has a lisp at the moment also, missing four of her teeth.

For the record we only have one titty! :( How sad is that sounding!

Anonymous said...

Awww. We still call pillows "tuppows" in our house. And of course, the pillowcase is the "tuppow diaper".

Seriously, I peed my pants when that came out of the 16-year-old's mouth when he was 3.

Liz Ulvila said...

How funny!! I'm sad to say that I've never had any titties. Did you know that Uncle Larry is allergic to titties! When Trip was little he pronounced hisT's as F's and he loved trucks. I think you can figure out where this is going..........We were asked to leave some of the nicest places! Love ya! Aunt Liz

11111111 said...

I don't have any titties.

Anonymous said...

Oh i love it! I remember when Raymond had to have surgery and called it his tentacles...not his...well you know what i mean! I miss those days too! double digits! hard to believe!

Anna said...

sweet titties, I can't imagine what this will do your search engine terms, yowza!

Love the story.

Anonymous said...

HA!

Can't wait to hear what sort of google searches you get from all your titty talk!

Anonymous said...

Hi - have just come across your site. I'm Scott from www.diyfather.com - we are an online interactive forum for fathers based in New Zealand.

I was wondering whether you might be interested in a link exchange or posting a monthly summary of father related issues from our blog.

Please reply to scott@diyfather.com

Thanks Scott

Anonymous said...

OMG, you totally cracky me up! I read one post and then couldn't resist reading a few more (um...at the office!) Can I please put in a link to your blog on mine?
And I notice you haven't posted in a while. Hope everything's fine.
Cheer :)

Anonymous said...

My daughter did that too, but it's slipping away even though she's only (already!) three.

Creative-Type Dad said...

Oh. My. Gosh....that's great!

I think I want some cats now just to say that....

Anonymous said...

You really miss splashing in the tub? I honestly have to say that I don't enjoy that part. I get 3 girls in the tub and it's like a water ride at an amusement park!

Shannon at www.iusedtobecool.com said...

Love your blog. I can identify with the beta mom thing. My kids are 4 and 3 and I am pretty relaxed with them and I get lots of "judgement stares" from the actually-insecure alpha moms.

I sell a beta mom t-shirt on my website, www.iusedtobecool.com. The actual link to the shirt is http://www.iusedtobecool.com/womens_shirts4.html

I wear mine with pride.

duckrazzle said...

A bulletin board-type site to talk about bloggers!



It’s brand new – get it going the way you would like to see it! New topics at will, and forums by request are yours for the asking.



Blogs are a wonderful way for the blogger to express his or her viewpoint…but they don’t allow much feedback if you happen to disagree, or if you really agree and want to amplify on it.



Razzlefratz.com provides a clean slate for you to vent…praise…flame…whatever.

duckrazzle said...

A bulletin board-type site to talk about bloggers!



It’s brand new – get it going the way you would like to see it! New topics at will, and forums by request are yours for the asking.



Blogs are a wonderful way for the blogger to express his or her viewpoint…but they don’t allow much feedback if you happen to disagree, or if you really agree and want to amplify on it.



Razzlefratz.com provides a clean slate for you to vent…praise…flame…whatever.

I am a Tornado ~ proven fact! said...

The tittie days do pass so quickly, but I stll have breemember (remember) neither girly can pronounce it correctly ... and it always puts a smile on my face - always!

Anonymous said...

I also have been reveling in my children's non-toddler-ness. My youngest is about to be eight. And, honestly, I'm not really missing anything yet. Even the talking (although maybe if they were talking about our titty...). Anytime I have a pang of sadness, I visit my cousin with her one and four year old. Then I go home and THANK GOD that my kids are older!

Anonymous said...

Way to funny! I miss those days. my baby is now 16 they grow up so fast. Enjoy every day.
ty for making me laugh.
take care
Angie